Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Grapes of Wrath


































The Grapes of Wrath

I know it has been such a long time since I have posted. My life has been crazy with the major changes going on...which is a whole other post itself...but ,I digress. This book was one of the saddest, most tragic stories I have read. No happy endings, no feel good message. There is one positive thing...perseverance. The will to go on no matter the circumstance. The will to live, despite it looking like everything around is lost. This story takes place back in 1939, where our country is just coming out of a decade from the great depression. People everywhere are searching for that American dream and believe in it. It shows the grass is not always greener. I also began to think of our country today and the economic times we are in. We still have it really good despite the job losses (my hubby being one of them)home foreclosures, and the inflation rates and wondering when it will end. It is not as bad as it was back then. Please, do not think that I am not saying it is all happy music and skipping through the flowers...I just don't see government camps set up and people working for pennies just to get a loaf of bread, living in tents and their cars by the thousands. I choose to believe that Jesus , is still in control despite it looking hopeless. I have come to a place where I am happy with the little that we have. Less is better...and I think that more people are going to come to realize that the most important and cherished things in life are not the newest things but family and spending time together. Realizing that, money is not what will make us happy. I am very grateful for the lessons that this recession has done for my husband and I. We are closer than we ever have been...and have come to learn that total dependence and trust in Jesus is what we need. We have been amazed at what He has blessed us with. It has all been done in ways that we thought were impossible..which has shown us Nothing is Impossible when it comes to the Creator of the Universe.

No comments: