Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby

This was a pretty good book. It makes you think of what kind of legacy you want to leave behind. It also shows that what you may think of a person, is not actually who they are. I would like to think that when I die, that I will be known for my love of Jesus, being a great mom, and the encouragement I was to those around me. In no way, do I want my "social status" to define me. My goal in life these days is to live for the Lord and please him. Take responsibility for myself and do what God wants me to. All the people in this book are selfish and only think about themselves. They think about what they can get at the moment to be happy. It is all proven in the end that none of it brought them true happiness. There were devastating consequences to their actions. I have mixed emotions on whether this should be read in high school. On one hand it teaches a great lesson as I mentioned above and on the other hand there is a lot of adult subject matter that I am not sure I want my high schooler reading about. This could be because many children are not that age and it is hard for me to picture them at that age. There are already things going on with my oldest that make me a little sad she is growing up. Of course, she is excited but I am so not ready for her to grow up. That is a whole other blog in itself.




I have one more book to read before I start the the big reading challenge. I also got from my sister, some books that tend to be very controversial within my "circle of existence". The Harry Potter books. Oh yes, I plan to read them. I used to be very against them and then decided I am forming an opinion on something I really don't know what I am talking about. So, I will read them and then form my opinion as to whether my children will read them. Besides, they are not ready to read them anytime soon...Some of those books are 800 pages. I will not ask if they want to read them. When it comes to that, they can ask me. I also have The Series of Unfortunate Events. I saw the movie and was very leery but I will form my opinion when I read the books.

No comments: